Welcome to Episode 44 of the RetroWDW Podcast: "Mickey's Birthdayland" - We appreciate your support and hope you have been enjoying each and every episode. Be sure to check out some of our previous shows.
- Eric wrote in, regarding the show 'Chance of the lifetime', which offered a million dollar prize. We stated it was 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire', and we were clearly wrong. Thanks for the correction! We discussed this on Episode 43.
- The giant AT&T phone came up again, and the current phone number owner actually brought it up at a company meeting! Big shout-out to the Disney Vacation Club cast members who listen to the show and also to our friend who has the number.
- How also gives us some updates on the current status of the 20k submarines. He found them snorkeling at Castaway Cay and informs us all about what they currently look like. Very cool story!
- Joe Barlow wrote in about some vintage coffee mugs. How did a little research, since he has a mug just like this! He explains the numbers and also a little bit about the history on these mugs.
- Mike wrote in regarding 1-hour photo development. Did Disney have a 1-hour photo option at the EPCOT Center Camera Center? Brian tells us the tale on this one.
- Next up, Jared gave us a call on the Retro Line! Take a listen to his great story.
- Finally, we got tons of great notes regarding the Lake Buena Vista Historical Society. We really do appreciate all of the kind words and support. This is a huge undertaking and we look forward to sharing it with you.
Thank you for all the emails, tweets and comments you have sent our way. We try to respond to almost everything and do our best to pick unique questions for the show.
For our latest event, we put together a really special giveaway. This one-of-a-kind collectors map is truly amazing and you really need to get one for your home or office. The details Jason drew, the small Easter eggs - it is just insane. If you would like your own, please visit our 'Donate' page - the entire donation is tax deductible and you will get this amazing work of art. Be sure to share where you end up hanging your posters and show us those custom frame jobs!
Our audio rewind this month turned out to be the nightmare filled Magic Journeys! The winner is Ben West, winning a copy of The Universe of Energy comic book. Great job and thanks for playing along to everybody!
If you think you know the answer to this month's audio rewind, email us! email@example.com - This month the winner will receive the 1992 Burger King 20th Anniversary calendar. This prize will legitimately work in 2020, as your new calendar.
All entries due 12/8/2018 and a random winner will be selected. Even if you don't win, you will gain an entry into the Second 2018 Prize Pot!
Prize Pot #2 has begun! Each month, we add a vintage or classic item to the pot. The winner will be announced in December and they get it all. Follow along as we add items and remember, each entry/guess of the audio rewind gets you an entry for the prize pot. Thanks for playing along!
2018 Prize Pot #2 Contents
- WDW Resort Pocket Sewing Kit (See It)
- The Official Album of WDW/Disneyland on vinyl, sealed!
- 2018 D23 Gold Member Kit - Featuring Mickey's 90th Birthday
- Disney News collection from the 1990s
This month we honor our good friend Mickey Mouse by taking a trip back to Birthdayland. We start off in 1988, discussing some of the special events to commemorate his 60th birthday. We examine some old artifacts and events that were done during this era. How moves into the way Birthdayland came to be and also tells us about a hidden gem in the book Todd is holding...Mickey is 60!
We learn about how cheap Disney went for this land and what lasted and didn't last. Mickey was always a walk around character, so guests really wanted to meet him, but couldn't necessarily lock down a meet and greet. This land changed that forever and you'll hear about some trade secrets that still happen today. Todd entertains us with some music from the Birthdayland Express, which is absolutely amazing. The petting zoo concept comes up, Minnie Moo and the barn that is still there at Goofy's Barnstormer. Todd takes us through all of the changes the land has gone through as well. The fair concept is discussed, along with Donald's original boat. We also get into Bonkers, The Disney Afternoon and so much more.
Happy Birthday to the legend himself, Mickey Mouse! Hope you have enjoyed this episode and also had a great time celebrating Mickey's birthday.